Winter Barn Owl

Winter Barn Owl
Life's a Hoot !

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Welcome to Downton Abbey

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have watched all six seasons of Downton Abbey, so was super excited when my Aunt Shirley game me tickets to go with Trish to visit Highclere Castle, (where  it is filmed), for my birthday.  I had a vision of arriving and being met by the butler Carson......but alas, bubble burst, I stood in line for 45 minutes with all the other fans, awaiting my turn to get in.  Camera in hand, I was crushed again to find that no photos were allowed inside.
So trying to make the best of it, I took some outside shots and bought the 'book'. I'll share some pictures of the inside of Highclere taken from the book!


Coat of arms under each window
Getting ready to walk through those famous doors...





It was a real treat to walk the same halls and stairs as my favourite characters.  Thanks so much Shirley!

After our morning visit, we had another treat.  We met with an old friend from our high school years, who had moved back to England.  I saw him a few years ago, 
but Trish had not seen Simon for over 40 years.

The food at The Yew Tree Pub in Highclere Village, where we had lunch, was fabulous.....the best fish and chips so far...
 ...and the burger was delicious
A bonus on the way home was a 'Stonehenge drive by'....

What a wonderful day.

The Jurassic coast coming up...

No comments:

Post a Comment